MFD "G" to MFD2 RNS DVD navi

Alles met betrekking tot
Audi, Seat, Skoda & Volkswagen navigatie
b5crazy

MFD "G" to MFD2 RNS DVD navi

Bericht door b5crazy »

Hello,

I have a 2004 VW W8 Passat with a MFD "G" navi that was installed after the car was purchased. I recently bought a MFD2 RNS DVD navi (part # 7L6035191Q) from a Toureg that I want to install in my Passat. Since the MFD does not have a quad block in the back like the MFD I am going to have to do some rewiring.

Any advice for adapters, etc would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Tom

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Gerritje - In Memoriam †

Bericht door Gerritje - In Memoriam † »

The part No you quote is definetely an North American MFD2 DVD navi for which you will not get the appropiate parts or adaptors in Europe. Albeit that you will require a special harness form your W8 connectionblock converteing to quadlock for the MFD2.
Since the W8 is a 2004 version I would expect it to be fitted with a CAN-bus system and having established this to be correct it would also be equipped with a quadlock plug that would readily fit into the MFD2.
Otherwise you would have to try your luck with the US passatforum.
Everything that I suggest here is merely based on knowledge of the European VW models and cannot be extrapolated for use abroad for a number of reasons.
Vragen & antwoorden mbt navigatie svp via het forum, niet per Privé-Bericht of E-Mail
-- Mededeling: Gerritje is op 23-03-2012 te Oosterhout overleden --

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
b5crazy

Bericht door b5crazy »

Why would the wiring be diffrerent between NA and EU? I'm sure there are differences in the firmware/software but would think the connections would be identical. At least for other VAG stereo components I have bought they are the same.

Here are pictures of the rear of my MFD and its wiring diagram

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Here are pictures of the rear of my MFD and its wiring diagram

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

I'm hoping that wit these pictures you would be able to determine compatibility and wiring.

I also found this adapter on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VW-MFD2-RNS2-NAVI-A ... dZViewItem

What do you think?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Gerritje - In Memoriam †

Bericht door Gerritje - In Memoriam † »

The MFD2 seems to comply with the European connection wiring. However for instance the CDC control electronics are completely different and will not operate with european aux-in adaptors or vv.

The harness you mention is useless since the set can only be operated on the proprietary CAN bus protocol of the Touareg. This seems to be quite different from what you would have or synthesize out of the ISO connectors you already have.
If the Passat W8 already has an infotainment CAN-bus, which I doubt, than the car would also have the original quad-lock wiring harness with all the required signals. The set should be connected with this harness only and subsequently be "programmed" using VAG.COM to be used in a different car than it was taken from.

There are 2 possibilities for the present situation: either you have somewhat fiddled around with an adapter to the quad lock and some additional wiring to get the MFD G to work, or the car was never equipped with a quad lock fitted radio in the first place. In that case you will not have the quad lock adapter, and the wiring is taken from the various exisiting wiring bundles. In the latter case it is highly unlikely that you will get the MFD2 DVD to work properly without an expensive CAN bus emulator for Touareg protocol, which I have not seen sofar, since the Touareg always has the required connections.

However, it is your party entirely.
Do´n´t blame me if if does not work.
Vragen & antwoorden mbt navigatie svp via het forum, niet per Privé-Bericht of E-Mail
-- Mededeling: Gerritje is op 23-03-2012 te Oosterhout overleden --

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
b5crazy

Bericht door b5crazy »

Looks like this all may be moot as the unit appears to be broken. Since my wife's '02 Passat variant has a double DIN CD/Cassette/AM/FM stereo with a quadblock I hooked up the navi just to see if there was power. The navi came on in safe mode. I tried to enter the security code but the right hand knob appears to broken. It will rotate and I can pick a number but the knob sinks into the unit and I cannot select any numbers. :x So now I have to try and get a refund!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
b5crazy

Bericht door b5crazy »

Well, I'm really excited as the MFD2 is now connected and fully functional in my Passat. Once I started to pull out all of the current wiring I found that my original quadlock was still in place and an adapter had been connected to it for the MFD connections. Once I removed that and connected the quadlock to the back of my MFD2 everything worked, including full FIS and steering wheel controls. Nothing needed to be done to reprogram the ECU either. So my car could care less whether the Navi is from a Touareg. As you can see from the picture below I still need to fabricate a faceplate to my center console as well as relocate some switch gear.

Afbeelding

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
  • Vergelijkbare Onderwerpen
    Statistieken
    Laatste bericht
  • Problemen met mfd2
    door svv1972 » 04 jan 2016 07:17 » in V.A.G
    Reacties: 1